Thread: biochar
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #76 (permalink)
Michael_Andrew

Zone: 6
Name: Michael
BananaBucks : 67,735
Said "Thanks" 248 Times
Was Thanked 384 Times in 182 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 226 Times
Default Re: biochar

Paulo I really don't have any numbers to back this up but maybe someone here will have some answers. The biochar I made came from sawdust. If I didn't make it into biochar it was headed to the compost pile. Even decomposing wood fibre makes greenhouse gases. I'm not sure if more is made through Pyrolysis. Given it is given off at a faster rate. Its my understanding burning wood with oxygen present gives off co2 (carbon dioxide) with low oxygen present it gives off co (Carbon Monoxide). Carbon monoxide is short lived in the atmosphere. I'm not sure which one is worse for the enviroment. But when you make the biochar it does flare off gases. Some things to consider is that the use of fertilizer is a big contributer to greenhouse gases. Also, this surprised me but the gas that is the biggest contributer to greenhouse effect is water vapor.

Maybe you can see if there is a water processing plant locally where you can get the stuff left over from the process. I never used it but hear some give it away free and it is a good amendment.

Michael
Michael_Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Michael_Andrew
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors