Thread: biochar
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #75 (permalink)
damaclese
Living in Exile

Zone: 9 Mediterranean climate
Name: Paulo
BananaBucks : 283,227
Said "Thanks" 1,352 Times
Was Thanked 1,620 Times in 706 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 101 Times
Default Re: biochar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Andrew View Post
I'm in Pauly! I'll pm you my address so you'll know where to send the checks when we start making money. It is a great idea though. Someone or group buy the ingredients and put them together and sell the product. Premier that sells pro mix I was at ther web site and they are now making mixes with mycorise and others with boicide and many other mixes for specific purposes. I'm sure if biochar is as good as it looks they will have a mix with it also.

Anyway, I made several batches of biochar this weekend. Just took a metal coffee can and filled it with sawdust. Put foil over the top placed in the woodburner and made a small fire. Its cool how the gasses burn off. Since it was sawdust it made this very nice workable char. Its different than just charcoal in that its a little gooey and smells really bad. I never noticed charcoal having that bad a smell. This stuff will vomit a dog off a gut wagon. I'll try to get some pics of it posted but the camera eats batteries and I'm all out.

Michael
I was talking with a Friend yesterday and i wanted to revisit this idea of making a signal product if its truly going to be Eco friendly it has to be made locally and with ingredients that can be either scavenged off of other processes or made on site again trucking things in defeats the point of saving resources and not generating harmfully byproducts
also making Biochar in your back yard: if you don't have a vary high Tieck biochar furness then you are releasing lots of carbon in to the atmosphere it can be done safely by using mirrors to reflect soler heat on to the biochamber so you don't have an out side combustion souse JoReal pointed that out nicely in a previously stated comment in this vary thread

damaclese is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To damaclese
Said thanks: