Thread: biochar
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
JoeReal

BananaBucks : 405,739
Said "Thanks" 108 Times
Was Thanked 474 Times in 228 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 16 Times
Default Re: biochar

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyc View Post
Joe, I don't know if you can tell the difference in appearance between coconet and the stuff made from rice. I did not know what the stuff along the freeways was made of but when I went to the big warehouse (I'd guess 100,000SFF) of Sacramento Bag Co. (now located in Woodland) last year, I saw pallets of the coils and saw that it was labeled as made from rice straw. Since it's a local material, I'd hope that CalTrans chose it for their products.
Harvey, in some cases it make sense to use the rice straw ropes, but in other more abusive situations, coconut materials are a lot better, especially for longer term erosion control. I can usually tell the difference by inspecting the bundles carefully. In the nearby construction area, I saw most of them straw bundles but was surprised at one section that is always wet and flooded and suspected it to be from coconut husk fibers. But I know for sure they were not from rice straw because of the finer fibers. There were more straws around the base of elevated construction mounds than do coconuts, but those guide ropes leading into the sewage drain are different than rice straw materials.
JoeReal is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To JoeReal
Sponsors