View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 02:23 AM   #27 (permalink)
Tog Tan
Ensete nut

Name: Tog
BananaBucks : 431,243
Said "Thanks" 1,011 Times
Was Thanked 2,723 Times in 787 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 204 Times
Joy Re: Germination Station in full swing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missg View Post
Tog Tan, I love your set-up for germinating bananas and other seeds. I have tried to grow Bananas in the pass with no success, now I understand why. I'm thinking about trying again.
I would like to ask you, what kind soil or what are you planning you seeds in. Once you put the seed in soil into the boxes do you place them under a grow light, are they on a heat mat.
I notice that you said, "Getting your sds from a reliable source is very important. I have bought from others in the past of which many batches had zero germn"! What would be a good company to buy seeds from. I thank you for any info you can give.
Gale
Gale, the two basics you need for germination of most seeds are humidity (80+%) and heat (approx 90+F - 100+F). In my case where I am, the ambient temp takes care of the heat I need. I maintain the humidity by having sealed boxes. If they are germinated with the open cell trays, the humidity is inconsistent.

Soil - I am no high tech guy. After observing how the 'naner sds germinate in the wild, I am convinced that if a seed is viable, it pops up anywhere given the right condition. I use any soil which is porous enough for the new roots to get in. You can use the normal seed starter mix. Moist but not wet. When you squeeze it, it should have a drop or two of water coming out.

Many seed sellers get big shipments of the stock from the suppliers who in turn take their time to achieve the stock before shipping. Seed wholesale is not lucrative and you have to sell alot to get decent money. This means many seeds are kept way too long before they finally reach the purchaser, you. Such lots, even if they are listed as fresh, just arrived, if you are lucky, you may get 3/100 and most of the time 0/100.

I check out my sources thoroughly before I buy. Not because of the $ spent but I really hate to waste my time waiting on duds! Currently I am only buying from Markus Senger of Germany.

____
Tog Tan has sadly suddenly passed away 6/16/09. We will miss you Tog Tan.
Tog Tan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Tog Tan
Said thanks: