View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 02:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tog Tan
Ensete nut

Name: Tog
BananaBucks : 430,447
Said "Thanks" 1,011 Times
Was Thanked 2,723 Times in 787 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 204 Times
Joy Re: Musa beccarii in the wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Any chance for photos of the Orang Asli and their living conditions(whatever that may mean). They sound like fascinating people.
Bob, I will get some pix of these people together and set up a new thread about them in Tiki Hut. The problem now is that due to modernization, they are no longer the same folks we used to know. In the 60's,their women still went around bare chested and they lived in very, very simple thatched huts. Most of the men were very good hunters with the blow pipe. They were used extensively in WW2 as scouts by the British army. Nowadays...Coke, jeans, bikes and handphone! Only a couple in my age group are still pretty good at the jungle craft. Most of the young 'uns well, like our normal young 'uns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax View Post
Nnggg. Tog if I wasn't broke I'd come and visit you! So many neat nanners!
Beth, walk if you have to! When you are here all will be taken care of! Howzat?

[quote=Gabe15;64778]Very nice Tog!

It should be noted that this species is now named Musa beccarii var. beccarii, to distinguish it from a different form, M. beccarii var. hottana. There are also intermediate forms. Var. hottana is known to grow on Borneo and is a smaller, more colorful plant that only grows in shaded conditions, it would make a great house-plant ornamental banana if more widely available. Even though a wild banana may be common and look mundane, there is always the possibility of something unique to be found.

One of the intermediate forms is growing at a botanic garden here on Oahu, I had one but it died, I may try to get another one later. Here are some photos of that plant. (sorry the photos cannot be turned).

Gabe, thanks for you additional info. I am doing the posts on species in our area cos I was darn mad I can't get decent pix of them on the net. I love foliage and habitat shots and if you surf for any species pix on the net, it's basically a pix of the flower bud.

Musa textilis Bornean Form
Now here's is something interesting. Along with the shots I got from my friend, there is a shot taken by someone else using his camera. I couldn't ID the plant so I shot a note to Markku. He ID'd it as a Bornean form of the Musa textilis. Now that I know what it is, I am pretty annoyed I didn't get a pup of this plant. Damn! It was found in the same area.

Musa textilis - Bornean Form

____
Tog Tan has sadly suddenly passed away 6/16/09. We will miss you Tog Tan.
Tog Tan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Tog Tan
Said thanks:
Sponsors