View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
Gabe15

Zone: 12
Name: Gabe
BananaBucks : 13,339,579
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 8,237 Times in 2,200 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Re: What is Glui Kai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
It is a seedless hybrid, M.a. x M.a with AA genetics. Now M.a. x M.a. probably occurred in the wild millenia ago. Whether the particular subgroup this is from was a mutant or a cultivated selection I have no idea.
AA genomes are usually derived from a single subspecies of M. acuminata, though hybrids between different subspecies as well as back-crosses are possible. However, based on the info I have now the three cultivars we have been discussing are all classified as being derived from M. acuminata subsp. microcarpa only.

Generally what I have noticed is that in more non-technical, "in the field" type manuals and documents, cultivars are referred to as forms of M. acuminata if they don't have any other genomes present, but in more technical documents, cultivars are rarely referred to as a form of a wild species, instead they are just classified by their ancestry and not associated as being a form of a wild species.