Thread: Is this true?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 04:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
revolutionman

BananaBucks : 6,038
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
Really though, doesn't the 30-40 range really represent the strength and size of the P-Stem and thus the ability to bear fruit? No matter if it was continuous or got overwintered? Or am i wrong...
strength and size of p-stem has little to do with when the plant fruits in my experience.

You should see some of the frail 2 foot tall plants that have fruited tiny bunches of useless bananas that don't mature, but rather rot on the undersized, under sunned, generally malnourished plant. When i arrived here the preexisting growth was unkempt, the pups were never removed, so some areas had 5 or 6 plants growing out of one corm mass all at different stages of development, but only the two or three biggest getting what they needed to prosper. the rest would spend months in the shadows of the larger plants and by the time the larger fruited and were removed, it was too late for the smaller ones to recover in any meaningful way before it was their time to fruit.

I'm just glad that my chickens will eat any of these that come about. It would be a real shame to just toss them to the ants.
revolutionman is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To revolutionman
Said thanks: