View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #166 (permalink)
bigdog

Zone: 8b
Name: Frank
BananaBucks : 732,586
Said "Thanks" 212 Times
Was Thanked 1,787 Times in 502 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 131 Times
Send a message via AIM to bigdog Send a message via MSN to bigdog
Default Re: Time to put the bananas to sleep for the Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetsammy View Post
What kind of luck are people having with Ensete Maurelli - Red Abyssinian when using this method?

Last year I stored about 6 one year old plants and all made it except two. They were all stored bareroot at about 10C. On the ones that lived the stems stayed red/green all winter despite no leaves or watering. The two that died kind of lost their color and eventually rotted.

This year I have a couple of the same plants now two years old and being stored in the same way. These two are now losing their color and I expect they'll be rotten come spring. The stems on these ones are about a basketball's diameter.

I did place them upside down to try and drain some excess water out in the fall but there is just so much water in these things, they are huge! Anyhow I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to save these plants.

I'm wondering also if storing them hanging upside down might help. It just seems there is so much water in the trunk of these plants. Some of it must seep back to the corm and start to rot once the plant goes dormant. Does that make sense?
Sammy, all I can tell you is my experience with Ensete bananas. I have given no thought whatsoever to them rotting in the way you mention. I've stored them standing up in pots, and they started growing in the spring. I've stored them bareroot lying on their side and they grow in the spring. I've done this with E. glaucum, E. ventricosum, and E. 'Maurelii'. I've even had them start growing under the house! In my humble opinion, Ensete and Musella are the two easiest genera to store in this manner. Musa cultivars and species vary widely. M. acuminata types don't do as well as M. balbisiana types in my experience. The bigger the pseudostem, the better chance you have. Also, with the less likely to store well cultivars, you may want to keep them a bit warmer than the others (maybe wrap them or throw a blanket over them, store them in a warm corner, etc.); you'll also want to cut all of the leaves off of them. With Orinoco, I've gotten away with leaving 2 or even three leaves on a pseudostem to give it a headstart in the spring, but this doesn't work well with some others. In fact, it can be quite devastating to them. When in doubt, I cut ALL of the leaves off.

If you think about it, a banana plant is about 93% water, so you don't want it to lose this water! That is what makes up almost all of the pseudostem. I suspect that you have something else going on if they are rotting. Check your temps with a thermometer. How humid is it where you are storing them? Where are you storing them? I can't imagine that the water from the pseudostem is causing them to rot.

Frank
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bigdog
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors