View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #32 (permalink)
raggedyredhead

Zone: zone7
Name: raggedy
BananaBucks : 38,228
Said "Thanks" 27 Times
Was Thanked 129 Times in 74 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 29 Times
Default Re: ensete maurelii red-creating pups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planter56 View Post
You guys make me want to see if I can grow one myself up here in Buffalo, NY. I've been debating as to whether or not to do it as I keep reading how hard they are grow and hold over the winter. I don't know if it would take being dug up in fall to be taken inside for the winter or not. Any ideas on this? I'm just supprised at how much they cost as it is and I have a chance to get them through a co-op in Dave's website as little plants so any help would be appreciated
Hi to everyone. It's been awhile since I posted. It's cold here in NJ.
My bananas are actually showing signs of the coming of spring. I have a good size Ensete Maurelli and yes they are expensive here. I got a good deal at $50.00 for one with a 4.5ft pseudo trunk. I was determined to keep it alive. It has been living in my basement under fluorescents. It has produced two new leaves. The second one is ready to open. This is a first time experience for me. I trimmed the old dried leaves yesterday. It looks pretty good.
Also, My dwarf musa slowly died off leaving me with two very leafy pups. They started growing last summer around Aug. I recently cut away the mother plant leaving pups to grow on. So I guess you can go bananas in NJ
Why not in Buffalo too!! Give it a try!!!
Raggedy
raggedyredhead is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To raggedyredhead