View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
john_ny

Location: Staten Island, NY - southernmost county in NY State.
Zone: USDA7- Sunset34
BananaBucks : 606,842
Said "Thanks" 1,057 Times
Was Thanked 2,284 Times in 832 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 37 Times
Default Computer problems

Some months ago, I had a problem with my printer. I posted here and asked if anyone could help, and someone (Turtile) got me going again, so I thought I 'd throw this problem up.
I had been using Norton for anti virus, for several years because, with rebates, I got it free. This year I was unable to do that. A couple of years ago, we switched our ISP to Verizon, and got FIOS, a fiberoptic connection for phone, internet, and TV.
Verizon was putting little pop-ups on my computer screen, telling me to install Verizon Security Suite. Since my Norton was expiring, I decided to do that.
Then the trouble started. I got a message, from Verizon, that there was a conflict between Verizon Security, and Norton, and I should remove the Norton. I did that.
I tried various Help pages and suggestions, but some problems persist.
1. I couldn't get my e-mail. (I use Outlook Express) It would go to, "Connecting", and stay there until it timed out. One suggestion was to turn machine off, for 15 seconds, and turn it back on. That worked, once. I got my e-mails, but the next time I tried, it was back where it was. I had to turn the machine off and on before each time, I tried to retrieve e-mail.
2.When I try to get on the internet (using Internet Explorer) the Microsoft page comes up first. Then I select a site I want to see, from, "My Favorites", or type in an address. The selected site comes up on the screen, and the little, "Back" arrow, at top left turns from black to green. When I'm finished looking, I click on that arrow, and it turns black again, and the Microsoft page comes back. I can then select another site to look at. Now, when I try to bring up the Microsoft page, I get a,"Page can not be displayed", and, "Can't find server" message. I have to click on, "Refresh" before it works. Also, when I select a site, the little arrow doesn't turn green, until I go to the second page. (For instance, now. I clicked on Bananas.org, and got the Home page. The arrow stayed black. The I clicked on Tiki Hut, got it, and the arrow turned green.) When I'm finished, I should be able to click on the Back arrow, until I get back to the Microsoft page, when it should turn black again. Now, I can only click back to the Home page. The only way I can get back to Microsoft, or view another site, without putting it on top of the current one, is to click, "Close", and start all over with the Refresh, etc.,etc. I'm also having to log in, each time, on each site.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

john_ny is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To john_ny

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors