View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #59 (permalink)
Tog Tan
Ensete nut

Name: Tog
BananaBucks : 431,472
Said "Thanks" 1,011 Times
Was Thanked 2,723 Times in 787 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 204 Times
Joy Re: germination guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by island cassie View Post
Sorry for the delay in replying, Tog. The ensetes I found growing near here were on someone else's property, but I had been watching them for pups ready to introduce myself, and beg or buy one. But in the meantime I found out that they don't pup and that I had been wasting my time! lol! I also like their clean non-pupping lines but initially I thought they had been trimmed. So when they have fruited, the plant is cut down and the area is replanted with seedlings - am I right? I had been thinking of them for landscape planting to enhance the front of the house, but if I have to replace them regularly I might think again - although I do like them! So many gorgeous plants - so little space!

Gold3nku5h - I haven't tried any from seed yet - just thinking about it.
Hey Cassie,

I think the effort to replant them is worth it and I have been told their life span is much longer than Musa's.

This is the first time I am into Ensete's and I really love them. I have been germinating the E glaucum, E livingstonianum and E ventricosum from sds which I buy basically from rarepalmseeds. So far I have about 100+ sdlgs in total of which I am using for the landscaping of my nursery.

Call me crazy, but I really like them. Also, over here in the tropical clime, they do much better than the Musa's. The E superbum have been without fail giving me 1 new leaf every day! I have yet to encounter a 'naner that does that.

I just got in 1,000sds of the Thai Ensete sp Kluay Pa and am expecting 500sds of the E perriei.

Truly, it's worth the replanting, go for it!

____
Tog Tan has sadly suddenly passed away 6/16/09. We will miss you Tog Tan.
Tog Tan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Tog Tan