View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #31 (permalink)
dylancgc

BananaBucks : 1,752
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Insights on seed germination.

I am a total novice to germinating Musa seeds and even more of a Newbie with Ensete seeds but I have had several successes using the Smoke Seed Primer and bottom heat.

I soaked all of my seeds in Smoke seed primer water for 48 hrs then planted them in regular seed starting media.

I planted 16 different kinds of seeds on January 12th, I left them covered with a dome until Jan 20th, I am impatient so I moved them to a cooler part of the house and put them on bottom heat with the dome still on them. I got 3 Ensete glaucum & 1 Musa siamensis on the 23rd. I have steadily gotten sprouts almost every day since then. I now have, (please pardon my spelling of seeds, I do not have them in front of me,) 6 Ensete glaucum, 1 Musa ?? Roxb pink from Thailand, 1 Musa siamensis, & one more that I can't think of right now.

My questions are,
Are these about normal results?
When is it ok to transplant to individual pots?
The Ensetes are about 2.5" tall now. They need moved because tomorrow or the next day they will be touching the top of the dome.

I planted 6 kinds of seed last year and moved them too soon and lost many of them, I don't wish to lose them again this year. I moved them last year as soon as they sprouted.

Thanks for any help you can give this newbie.

Peggy

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors