View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 07:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
sandy0225
Northern Tropics

Zone: zone 5
Name: Sandy
BananaBucks : 354,936
Said "Thanks" 38 Times
Was Thanked 1,801 Times in 682 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Default Re: Sickly Cali. Gold

It may be sucking the nutrients/etc from the mom to the pup. This is just my theory, but I think sometimes they use that stub for a storehouse for nutrients and water and then use those to get a new plant going.
I check my bananas in the winter for moisture by sticking my finger in the soil. If it feels pretty damp an inch down, it's not ready for watering. This is if it's not getting a lot of light. If it's getting a lot of light, it will need more, not as much as summer, but more often. If you're really concerned about that you might lose it, put it on a heat mat in a sunny place and start pushing some growth.
I don't like the moisture meters because it's just another thing you have to carry around when watering. I don't even like dragging the hose, I want "cordless" water! I mean really, you have 10 fingers that do just as good of a job and they're conveniently located wherever you are. I especially don't trust those cheap moisture meters. It's like trusting your plants to something you probably paid less than $9.00 for. Anyway thanks for listening to my rant...I hope your plant does well for you. It really looks like it's trying to live.

Northern Tropics Greenhouse
1501 East Fuson Road
Muncie, IN 47302
www.northerntropics.com

specializing in bananas, heirloom tomatoes and water gardening plants~
check out our new online store at our website!
sandy0225 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sandy0225
Said thanks: