View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
Tog Tan
Ensete nut

Name: Tog
BananaBucks : 431,195
Said "Thanks" 1,011 Times
Was Thanked 2,723 Times in 787 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 204 Times
Joy Re: Germination Station in full swing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRi View Post
Hey I know this is an old-ish thread but I'm thinking about setting up one of these for myself was wondering how long do/did you leave the heat on in a normal day?

I'd probably have a rather small germination station to start with...probably about a quarter the size of yours....what bulb wattage do you think i'd need for that?

thanks
JenRi, I do quite a decent number of seeds a month as part of my seedling program. Wherever you may be, if you can have a temp of what Scot says, it should be ok. Though I live in the tropics, it may seem easier but I have mucho problems trying to do temperate species!

I chose spots in my nursery with a day temp of 90+F and 80F at night. Sds are sown into clear plastic boxes with a moist seed mix. Then the lid is kept on. Please do not forget to tag the details on the boxes such as date of sowing, species, etc. With viable sds most musa will sprout in a mth or so though some are more stubborn. With the lid on, there is no moisture lost and visually you can see if there is any progress through the clear boxes.

Once they sprout, I leave them in the box until they get taller than the height of the box. Do not be too impatient to pot them. Let them grow a while more in a humid environment by putting the box with the lid off in a clear zip lock bag. I usually let them grow to 4/5 leaves before potting them. In this way you can maintain a constant environment for them. Also, you don't have to worry about the watering whether its excessive or insufficient. I hope this helps.

Seeds are sown into clear plastic boxes and sealed. All you have to do is to look out for sprouts.

As the sdlg grows, the lid is removed and the box put into a ziplock bag. This high humidity environment will allow the sdlg to grow further before potting.

This is one the areas which have a good day/night temp for germination of sds.

____
Tog Tan has sadly suddenly passed away 6/16/09. We will miss you Tog Tan.
Tog Tan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Tog Tan
Said thanks: