View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 03:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lagniappe

BananaBucks : 245,855
Said "Thanks" 1,378 Times
Was Thanked 1,402 Times in 558 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 535 Times
Default Re: what do you get out of gardening

As with Mitchel and John, my grandmother helped me with my first little garden plot. It was a pathetic little scratch in the rocky,red clay,pine shadowed, yard of my childhood. There were pumpkins and melons and that was enough. I watched them as one would watch a t.v., waiting for the next dramatic plot to unfold. I daydreamed about these plants while my teacher droned on about grammar,which is why you have trouble keeping up with me, and I raced home from the bus stop to see if there was a prize winning fruit on my vines. In the end, I had a few teeency melons and a pumpkin that rotted before it began to weigh much of anything, but I was a gardener.
Nowadays, the garden is a place for me to transcend all of the anger, bitterness, tension, frustration,fear, and regret that I absorb in the business world and exchange it for the anger,bitterness,tension, frustration, fear, and regret from growing plants. And this is all by choice!
The main difference is that,when I close a big account, I'm doing what's expected of me. When I have home grown bananas from a zone 8 garden to share with my family and friends I have a true sense of accomplishment.
Hehehe...wait'll my Heliconias bloom this summer, you'll never hear the end of it!
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Lagniappe
Said thanks: