View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #42 (permalink)
Jeff

Zone: Tropical Highlands
BananaBucks : 75,909
Said "Thanks" 60 Times
Was Thanked 424 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Trying again with Ensete perrieri (from RPS)

I thought I would share a photo of one of my Ensete perrieri plants. I took this photo this afternoon.

I ordered 100 seeds from RPS and received them in June of 2007. I sowed them in a plastic container with local soil and about 30 plants germinated after about 3 months. They were transplanted into one gallon bags and I put them out in my shadehouse. This past May (2008) when the rainy season started, I planted a bunch of them in the ground. Some were planted in full sun on a hillside where the water would drain away from them. Those plants are much smaller and have much shorter petioles. I wasn't sure how well these Ensete's would do here in Costa Rica. Our rainy season lasts from May through November and we get between 150-200 inches of rain per year. This is followed by our dry season (or Summer) which runs from December through April. All of the plants grew well for me during the rainy season much to my surprise.

This is my largest plant. It was planted next to the new addition of our rental house and has grown bigger than I expected. It gets part sun here but is shaded for at least half of the day. It is now shading out all of my other plants and palms that are planted around it. The base on this thing is huge! I will get some better photos soon. I love this plant!