Thread: Pomegranates
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 06:07 AM   #20 (permalink)
alsheetaz

BananaBucks : 644
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 14 Times in 2 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Pomegranates

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong View Post
Thank you for this thread, Richard.

I wonder if anyone knows if Mr. John Chater is still in business. I used to order Pomegranates from him back in the 70's. Of the four varieties I received from him, only two are surviving - Eversweet and Rosa Mia. Of the other two, I can only remember Ambrosia as one of them. I remember ordering from him after seeing his ad in the CRFG magazine. I believe it had a Santa Barbara, CA address. When I talked to him, he said that he brought his plants from Lebanon and that they were very hardy, and will grow in sandy soil, wet soil, etc. He further said that his specimens were so vigorous that you can break off a branch and stick in the ground, water it, and you'll have a new plant!

Any contact information for Mr. Chater?
John Chater was my grandfather. He died a few years ago. I just googled him because I missed him as I wanted to see if Eversweet still lived on through all the clients he had. I found this amazing site through the search.... and hence your question.

I remember visiting my grandfather often and the hours he spent in his garden and the checks from his clients that he'd get from all the countries of the world. The love and passion he had for gardening makes me really happy It brought his Eversweet branch to so many people. We still have it in every house we ever lived in. I couldnt eat pomegranates from age 9 to 18 because of all the jams, jellies and fresh fruit i consumed from our weekly visits from birth on!

To know that you are enjoying it makes me feel he lives on. Thank you for remembering him!

alsheetaz is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To alsheetaz
Said thanks:
Sponsors