Thread: Fert's
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 05:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Worm_Farmer

Zone: 9b
Name: Mike
BananaBucks : 44,113
Said "Thanks" 5,326 Times
Was Thanked 1,830 Times in 679 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,866 Times
Send a message via AIM to Worm_Farmer
Default Re: Fert's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagniappe View Post
I thought you meant aerated tea, Wormfarmer. Do you make any aerated stuff as well?
I have not had the chance to make aerated tea yet. It takes a good amount of castings to make this tea. Right now I do not have an access amount of castings to make this type of tea right now. I will try it once day, but right now the castings are treated like gold. I do not give any way yet, and I use all the I make and wish I had more. I do want to experiment with the aerated tea and misting the leafs of plants. I have read that doing this is very healthy and fights different disease's that may be eating at my plants. I really cant wait till I get to the point where I can grow some veggies in nothing but castings. I have been told this would a waste of castings, but What the heck if I have plenty to go around why not? Next year I am really hoping to get my setup a big jump and start producing my own castings by the LB. I would really like to see myself harvesting at least a 3 gallon pot once a month, if not more. Once I get to this point I plan on sharing with EVERYONE! I know. I also cant wait till I get to a point where I can spare worms and give people worm systems that are already working so they can start worm farming them self's. Right now I am unsure about my worm population I stated with 1 lb last year. I have expanded to two systems, once is REALLY active the other is a little newer and has more babies then adults so in about 45 - 60 days they should be adults and that bin will be crazy and I will have to start a new one or expand to a larger system.

Quote:
Well I hope you understand that I like the worm tea -- its a free source of micronutrients and other beneficials, but the castings themselves are even better. On the subject of worm food, one worm farmer I know brings 5-gallon buckets to vegetable vendors at Farmers Markets, and then goes home with a truckload of green scraps.
I understand and completely agree with you. Just the thing is I get more run off / tea then castings right now. When I harvest castings I am pulling about 3 - 4 gallons of black gold at a time.

You know I never thought about trying the farmers market, it would be a better source of good food waste. With restaurant I still have to look through what the give him. Sometimes I find wax covered paper, or already cooked items. Once they gave me a large portion of burned rice which was not using able.

On another note I am been experimenting with a new way to do my raised beds. I am making them out of cinder blocks, digging a trench 3 - 4" and burring the blocks. I then fill the holes in the blocks with compost material creating a lot of little compost piles around my bed. I then put a layer of soil on top of the plant matter I want to compost down. I have also stated planting strawberry plants in these holes also. By the end of this year I will be able to tell you how well this actually worked, and if I think it works well I plan on making a lot more raised beds like this one.
Worm_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Worm_Farmer
Said thanks: