View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
JoeReal

BananaBucks : 407,082
Said "Thanks" 108 Times
Was Thanked 474 Times in 228 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 16 Times
Default Re: Help on Zones pleaase.

Based on USDA definition, you should be in Zone 9. However, there is a very big difference. You don't have hot summers like those of USDA zone 9. You are more like in the coastal area zone 9. You have way cooler summer temperature, hovering on the long term average at about 70-75 deg F for just a month. Most fruiting bananas need 70 deg F soil temp to bloom and fruit, and to grow well, temperature should be around 85 to 95 deg F. You also have wetter, damp, less sunshine, almost always cloudy the entire year. Major problem there is that bananas would be susceptible to rot and other diseases. Not to discourage you but few varieties might make it there. Just wanted to tell you that even if you are in zone 9 equivalent, the comparisons are still like between apples and oranges.

A more accurate climatic classification is the Sunset Zone definitions, but very few retail outlets use this method, and you can search for this in the net.

I visited North Hampton Shire and stayed there for one month, got to visit Birmingham as well, and the whole time I was there, I only got one hour of sunshine. Of course, it was early spring.
JoeReal is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To JoeReal