View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chironex
The causasian Asian!

Zone: I have no idea
Name: Scot
BananaBucks : 118,296
Said "Thanks" 4,544 Times
Was Thanked 1,406 Times in 808 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 609 Times
Send a message via MSN to Chironex Send a message via Yahoo to Chironex
Default Releasing seed germination inhibitors and breaking thermodormancy

After reading some research about "thermodormancy" and seed germination inhibition, it is time to determine what effect, if any, the benefits of cytokinin treatment would have on banana/ensete seeds. Being largely recalcitrant, perhaps due to inhibition by abscisic acid (ABA) and thermodormancy, there appears to be a method of releasing these dormancies by stimulating ethylene production. These studies have shown positive results on breaking seed dormancy on clover, peanut and lettuce seeds.

As soon as I have secured the correct cytokinins, I plan to duplicate the experiment with banana seeds. It is hoped that these results may further improve banana seed germination responses.

Click for Jakarta, Indonesia Forecast

Last edited by Chironex : 01-09-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Chironex is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Chironex
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors