Thread: Musa violascens
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tog Tan
Ensete nut

Name: Tog
BananaBucks : 430,476
Said "Thanks" 1,011 Times
Was Thanked 2,723 Times in 787 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 204 Times
Joy Re: Musa violascens

Yo Frank,
Shouldn't you be half drunk now with Christmas a couple of hours away?

Farang means Guava in Thai. It's white inside. Now you know what kinda fruit you are!

Another term here for foreigners is Mat Salleh. Nothing degrading but refers to people who act foreign.

Yeah these two species of Callimusa are almost the same except for the fruits which Gabe was trying to verify with me on the M gracilis thread. The way they differ in geography is that M violascens is found on the Western side of the peninsular whereas M gracilis is found on the Eastern side. These two areas are separated by the Main Range all the way from the top to the south, thus, there is hardly any chance for them to overlap and hybridize.
The West is wetter and protected by the Indonesian main islands whereas the East is exposed to the South China Sea. Their climate is very different and maybe that's why the M gracilis grow smaller there. The lot I found were at the foothills of the Main range where it is wetter so the plants get big.

I feel there is so much more for me to learn even though there are only 2 species of Musa and 2 species of Callimusa here. I am not stopping here but I will get specimens from all the parts of the country. Of course I will try to find the ultimate specimen for each of the species with the nicest flower.

Since 25th Dec is a holiday, I may go hunting again tomorrow down Central south. Will keep you posted.

Happy holidays!

Tog

____
Tog Tan has sadly suddenly passed away 6/16/09. We will miss you Tog Tan.
Tog Tan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Tog Tan
Said thanks: