View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 03:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
enigma99a

Zone: 9b+
BananaBucks : 99,533
Said "Thanks" 103 Times
Was Thanked 277 Times in 129 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default My winterizing method

So it's December 9th, and that time of year when it can potentially reach 32F. Although it has yet to frost this season (or let alone dip below the mid 30s), I wanted to be prepared just in case... It only takes ONE night to fry them

Another reason for my method is that I wanted to keep the cold damp water off the leaves and keep the plants looking as best as possible. (less black mold spots perhaps?)

Also I must mention I am a banana newbie (only had a couple DCs at my previous residence in a colder zone so I had to bring them over the winter !)

First, I went to www.americannettings.com And ordered about 3x300 ft and 6x100 ft of crop cover for all my stuff. It's pretty reasonable and very high quality material.

Then took some tie and bound them up like a cigar to make them easy to wrap. (being very gentle and careful not to damage any leaves) On the tender d. cavendish I put C7 lights just in case we get an arctic blast this season.

Then took my cover and wrapped them up and tied them off.

I'll report on what happens after it's time to unwrap them in February!

Average January Low: 40°F, Average August High: 95°F
Typical Low Each Winter: 28-30°F, Typical High Each Summer: 108-110°F, Annual Precipitation: 22 inches
enigma99a is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To enigma99a
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors