Thread: Tissue Culture
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 02:32 AM   #44 (permalink)
rohsen

Name: Dave Rossen
BananaBucks : 18,703
Said "Thanks" 8 Times
Was Thanked 74 Times in 21 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Tissue Culture

as im just getting started on musa spp im not sure yet, i do know some cultivars respond well to different formulations, banana is known as an easy species! what i usually do and i advice you the same is check the references given with the media, you can google this reference and see what comes up. if i cant find info i just set up trials using different media, i make my choices depending on what ingredients i have available what growth regulators (hormones or plant growth regulators PGR's for short such as 6-BAP GA3 IBA IAA NAA) required and the price of growth regulators. as far as media preparation goes i usualy buy pre-formulated media such as MS , MS gamborg, Rugini olive medium etc. only rarely do i formulate the media myself. (its a hastle) I only use agar in the initiation of cultures to screen for contaminants, after initiation i use liquid media in a temporary immersion system. any advice on media for musa basjoo ? im looking into propagating this species im also interested in ensete ventricosum

regards
Dave

in my gallerie pictures of my modest lab