View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
jmoore

Zone: 8a
Name: James
BananaBucks : 118,897
Said "Thanks" 192 Times
Was Thanked 799 Times in 373 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 71 Times
Question Helen's hybrid, sikkimensis etc

OK I live in the UK, which is coming up to the shortest day (about 6 hours daylight if we're lucky), December 21st I believe. I planted some Helen's hybrid and musa sikkimensis about 5 or six weeks ago when there was more light.

The question(s) How important is light to germination of musas, or indeed any banana?
I'm getting fed up waiting for these seeds to come up, I've tried to give them a cooler night and a warm day, but my cool probably isn't that cool (between 15 - 18 degrees C) my warm is good enough about 30-35 degrees.

I've got hold of some itinerans, daj. giant, red tiger and yannanensis seeds, but feel loathed to get them going if light is really important.

Anyway, I've put my Helen's and sikkis in the fridge overnight to try and shock them into some action. They're himilayan (sp) so my reasoning is give them a bit of extra cold to spark them into life.

Am I being impatient? Yes I am! I want nanas! Got some ventricosum going with no probs.
jmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To jmoore

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors