View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Chironex
The causasian Asian!

Zone: I have no idea
Name: Scot
BananaBucks : 118,341
Said "Thanks" 4,544 Times
Was Thanked 1,406 Times in 808 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 609 Times
Send a message via MSN to Chironex Send a message via Yahoo to Chironex
Default Re: Banana Tissue Culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by malikopo39 View Post
Hello all

I joined the Banana.Org Forum primarily for information on Bananas - growing bananas for a living. I have read a vast amount of information that is available on the web and would like to start my retirement enterprise from a scratch - that is from seed to a banana plantation.

I have been taken in by propagation of bananas by way of tissue culture and would like to try my hand at it but the laboratory-type regime does not suit the environment I am going to be operating in.

Firstly, at present there is no electricity but have a small generator and solar power to charge batteries, lights, etc.

I would like to hear from members who have had experience with tissue culture to help with information and suggestions on how this can be done in a rural environment in Zambia devoid of mod-cons.

I can set up a workable rudimentary laboratory to do the work required and get the hands-on experience to see if tissue culture would be a viable solution to propagating bananas that are disease-free.

A lot of work is being done in East Africa, West Africa but nothing is being done in Zambia although some commercial enterprises have been talking about it but is not viable proposition as yet.

Help will be much appreciated.
You really don't need an elaborate laboratory. Tissue culture can be done in a cardboard box lined with foil or plastic. The main thing that you will need to do is to sterilize the equipment. 10-25% bleach and some 70% alcohol will help, but you will need a pressure cooker of some kind to be able to properly sterilize the jars, knives and most importantly the medium.
A small microwave oven could be used if you can get one. Boiling water won't kill all of the possible contaminants, so rely heavily on bleach water and alcohol.

Click for Jakarta, Indonesia Forecast
Chironex is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Chironex