View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Bob
Orang Puteh

Zone: 6a
Name: bob
BananaBucks : 205,644
Said "Thanks" 9,537 Times
Was Thanked 4,058 Times in 1,694 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 565 Times
Pinwheel Re: Cavendish replacement efforts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman88 View Post
How do you create a pull market for non-Cavendish types? I say the only way is for consumers to stop purchasing the Cavendish. I realize your question was how do the producers create a pull market, and since we, as consumers, are not likely to stop purchasing the Cavendish (since it's almost soley our only choice) then I just don't think it will ever happen on a large scale. The only way I can see it happening is if a massive outbreak of Panama Disease, BBTV, or Sigatoka really wipes out the Cavendish plantations and consumers are "forced" to try a new banana out of necessity. I"d prefer to have more varieties available, but if they are not I'm going to keep purchasing the Cavendish. They're better than nothing!
Bring back the "Chiquita Banana" cartoon! I can hear it nowif you're old enough you can too) "I'm a chquita banana and I've come to say Panama disease is here to stay so try an Ice cream , orinoco and all the rest and you are sure to find that cavendish ain't best". ok so I don't have a future in PR but I do think promoting different varieties first as "exotics" to expose them to a greater market followed by a price reduction due to higher production could work.