View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Richard
un-Retired

Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
BananaBucks : 500,766
Said "Thanks" 3,636 Times
Was Thanked 12,543 Times in 4,721 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,685 Times
Default Re: genetically modified bananas are here

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradisi View Post
nature does give us mutations all of the time - but those mutations aren't the result of some multinational company trying to make a profit by gene splicing from like and unalike organisms.
This concept of splicing like and unlike organisms is misleading. It is false to assume that the 1st half of one organism sequence is being replaced by a half section or whatever of another organism sequence.

More accurately, a whole rRNA sequence contains 100,000 to millions of nodes or sites. The typical goal in gene splicing (e.g., wheat) is to replace molecules bonded to one or a few sites that produce undesirable traits -- such as disease susceptibility. Researchers then look in nature for an existing rRNA sequence which has a small portion that matches the target area of the gene (e.g., the few sites on the wheat) -- BUT with different or sometimes no bonded molecules that do not produce the undesirable trait.

Notice that I am not saying whether I approve or disapprove of this practice, I am simply asking for accuracy in the discussion. Agricultural GMO means replacing a very tiny portion of one sequence with a tiny, nearly identical portion of another.

Last edited by Richard : 10-29-2008 at 12:33 PM. Reason: GMO
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Richard
Said thanks: