View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
rmxwhite

Zone: 8
Name: Richard in Texas
BananaBucks : 7,289
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default DO and DB Container Planting

Hello everyone, my name is Richard and I'm new to the forum, so please excuse me if I ask a question that has already been answered. I've looked thru a lot of the threads and have not found the answer I was looking for.

This is my first time growing banana's (Zone 8 Central Texas) and I bougt 2 DOs from Banana-Tree and 1 DB from Wellspring. The DO's are pups and the DO is a TC. I've decided to overwinter them in containers and plant in the ground next spring.

Now my questions:

1. I planted these 2 wks ago in 8" pots in a soil mixture of 2pts Miracle-Gro potting mix and 1pt perlite. The same mixture I use for citrus trees. After 2 weeks should the pups be showing some signs of growth? They were cut to a length of about 5" and had roots about .5" long around the circumference of the pstem base. I have had them outside with nite temps in the mid 50's and Day time in Mid 80's. I just recently moved them inside when the nite temps went to the 40's.

2. What water requirements do they have at this stage? I watered well when they were planted and the soil is still moist. The pots came from Home Depot and have about six drain holes on the bottom.

3. Should I give them any fertilizer at this stage or wait until I see signs of growth?

Note that the DB TC seems to be growing, although slowly at this point.

Sorry for running on here, but any light you can shed on this will be appreciated.

Richard
rmxwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To rmxwhite
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors