View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 03:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
mikevan

Zone: 8
Name: Mike V.
BananaBucks : 15,486
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Surviving The Winter

Up til now I've always greenhoused my nanners. They've proven resilient even if the heat fails, thankfully. However, I'm in Zone 8 where winters are pretty mild. Just enough bite from an arctic blast to tank any exposed nanner then the rest of the time it's short-sleeve weather, which is infuriating! I've got a lot more taller nanners now, tho, so I'll explore wrapping them next winter for the taller ones while the dwarfs will remain in the greenhouse over the winter.

With an SDC - any bright window will do - containerize it if it's not already that way. Give it a good East or West exposure and reduce watering over the winter. When it warms up, migrate it back outside and gradually give it more sun and water as it starts growing faster again.

However, I doubt you'll stop at SDC - nanners are very addictive as I've found. Had some unidentifieds for the longest time and was happy with them... until I saw all the others and now I've a mess of nanners to deal with. Sigh.

In cooler Zones, you can also consider digging up the nanner, shaking off the soil from the roots and storing it in a shed or under the house or in the garage in a dark place that doesn't freeze and mostly remains below 50F thru the winter. IIRC, BigDog has lotsa experience with this method and high success rates... SDC will still be easier to just pot up, but keep this in mind when you get taller nanners...

Be well,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa_Cavandish View Post
What Will I do with my SDC i'm Worried.from your own experinces would help.
mikevan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To mikevan
Said thanks: