View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #127 (permalink)
mikevan

Zone: 8
Name: Mike V.
BananaBucks : 11,491
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Time to put the bananas to sleep for the Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananoloco View Post
I started doing the crawl space thing and quickly realized that I was breaking my back. So now, I cut mine down to fit my 9 ft garage and store them vertically against the wall. It makes it easier to roll in and out on a dolly.

In terms of temperatures... I put a cover over the windows and keep it as dark as possible. The temperature rarely goes below 50 and seems to stay in the low 60's for the bulk of winter. In fact, sometimes at the end of Feb and in March it will even go into the 70's. At first I was worried about the temps being too high but it seems that the mysore, orinco, raja's, and ice cream have no problems with it. On the other hand, I can't seem to get the dwarf cavendish to overwinter well and have all but given up on this type.
A 16' trailer would work too so you don't have to cut your taller nanners back as much. Let it hang over some and you can keep 20' nanners even. If you have room in the garage, of course. Knowing most nanner-heads, we'll park the BMW outside and put the nanners in the garage over the winter.

It's good that the DC doesn't get very big - you could probably put that in a large pot and in a greenhouse over the winter.

Be well,
Mike
mikevan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To mikevan