View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #33 (permalink)
Randy4ut

BananaBucks : 76,890
Said "Thanks" 1,051 Times
Was Thanked 1,324 Times in 444 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 87 Times
Default Re: Finally, another flag...

Well, we started crossing the other way this evening... A friend of mine came over and we found a velutina bloom that only opened a few days ago. We removed all the male flowers, took the Thai's male flowers and pollinated the pistil on the velutina. Afterwards, we covered the flowers with a coffee filter and used a rubber band to hold it in place for a couple of days. We are not sure if the flower of the velutina had already been pollinated or not, so we found another velutina bloom, carefully cut back the next bract that was not open yet and removed the stamens on the flowers inside. Since the flowers were not fully developed yet, we covered them the same way as before with a coffee filter and I will go out in a day or two and pollinate them and then recover the flowers. We know these flowers had not been pollinated yet as no pollen had been formed on them as of yet... Wish us luck!!!

Oh, yeah, almost forgot, I have a laterita with a flag leaf that just came up today, so more to play with!!! This one is actually in the ground, so that may pose a problem...

Randy4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Randy4ut
Said thanks: