View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Chironex
The causasian Asian!

Zone: I have no idea
Name: Scot
BananaBucks : 118,334
Said "Thanks" 4,544 Times
Was Thanked 1,406 Times in 808 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 609 Times
Send a message via MSN to Chironex Send a message via Yahoo to Chironex
Default Re: Coffee grounds in compost or as a fertilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Our soil and water here is a bit alkaline: for many people the result of watering the native soil is a pH of 7.2 to 7.4. I've visited homes where they applied coffee grounds once per month on top of their mulch once per month. I think they were applying about a cup per plant per month. At some point several months later the plants begin to fry and upon testing the soil, I find the pH is 5 or lower. That was easy to correct with some liquid gypsum and the plants (most recently, roses) recovered in two months. But why torture your plants? Get a pH probe and test the soil once a month in between waterings. Your goal is to keep the pH between 6.0 and 6.5.

By the way, the Banana fertilizer you are using is acid forming, so definitely test the soil to see if additional acid is needed.
Thanks Richard, I bought one last week. Just gotta figure out how to use it . I have to calibrate it and then determine how to use it on soil. Once I get it figured out, I will talk to you about how to fix my soil.

Click for Jakarta, Indonesia Forecast
Chironex is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Chironex