View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #33 (permalink)
tikifarmer
Manure Spreader

Zone: 6B
Name: Rick
BananaBucks : 28,057
Said "Thanks" 75 Times
Was Thanked 130 Times in 21 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: A Few Pics From My PA Backyard

Raggedyredhead , from what I have read ensete can be stored the same way and that is what I am planning to do with mine this winter . This is the first year for my ensete so , I guess we"ll see .

Magicgreen , yes they are very heavy and yes I just put them on the floor like you see . I built a cart of sorts to move them and so far it has worked out ok . 2 of the pstems are blooming with bananas on them right now so , I am guessing I will cut those off prior to moving them ( to save some weight ) as I am assuming they will die anyway . Last fall I cut 2 pups off and kept them alive in the house over the winter . The one is probably 6' or so now and the other one a bit less because I kept it in the pot longer . I really don't think it would be prudent to separate the pups in the fall without potting them up , the better time would be spring . That's probably what I should have done but , the other thing I have heard is that the pups don't grow as fast after being separated , so I was trying to keep the clump in tact as long as possible . With that said I just remembered I did have one large pstem break off when I moved them out in the spring , I planted it and it is doing very well . It is probably 10' or so , but has not pupped yet .
tikifarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To tikifarmer
Said thanks: