View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #22 (permalink)
bigdog

Zone: 8b
Name: Frank
BananaBucks : 732,418
Said "Thanks" 212 Times
Was Thanked 1,787 Times in 502 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 131 Times
Send a message via AIM to bigdog Send a message via MSN to bigdog
Default Re: Planting Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyc View Post
Frank, I'm skeptical also, but it's worth taking a look at to see what happens. Many growers have carried out particular traditions for many generations even though there is little objective support for doing so. My grandfather, father, uncles, and brother would never start planting corn in the spring on a Friday. No scientific reason for doing so except that there were probably too many other things going to if they hadn't got started by then and were possibly more lilkely to be rushing and making mistakes. Obviously, a trial with at least a hundred plants of each treatment (plant A, plant B, and grafts of A on B and B on A) would be nice to see to really draw any conclusions.

In some old scientific literature from the 15th century or so there was a discussion that grafting of fruit trees was highly controversial, messing with mother nature, along the lines of how gene splicing is often viewed today. So science has been know to change its views. I'd love to be able to have my skepticism dismissed!

Harvey
Don't get me wrong here; I am a firm believer in experimenting also! I experiment all of the time with plants. I'm just saying that there will be no gene transfer from plant-to-plant, and so they won't breed to create a new cultivar in this way. It is feasible that the two corms could grow together, and that there could be cell movement from one corm to the other. It is also theoretically possible for a chimera to result, although the chances are extremely slim. What will most likely happen is that you will have Musa basjoo pups coming up on one side, and Raja Puri pups on the other.

Good luck with it. I hope something good happens!
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bigdog