Thread: Slow growth
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
mikevan

Zone: 8
Name: Mike V.
BananaBucks : 15,484
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Slow growth

Leave the pups. So long as they've got sun, they're contributing to the plant rather than detracting from it. I like at least 2 pups connected to the mother plant. It helps increase the overall corm size that is the soul of the plant. More than that can be removed.

It's possible the replanting spured a bit of root-growth and that spured some rapid leaf growth and it's leveled out again. I'd let it do it's thing - so long as the plant is not looking overly distressed...

Even if it's not root bound, it will grow a little slower and remain a bit shorter as it fills up the space - it's near the surface where it does most of its feeding. Water when it needs it - as in, stick a finger into the soil and feel if it's wet or not, and feed regularly and don't change too many things...

If it starts to wither and/or obviously decline - regardless of water, dig it up and inspect the roots to ensure there's no root-rot occuring - potted soil can be sneaky as in remaining wet below while drying out above - trim off any rot you see and replant it in fresh soil...

Be well,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
Mike, yes it is containerized, and planted it the ground, mulched pretty well. It has two large pups.. one about 3ft and another a bit smaller. I'd considered removing them both, thinking that they are taking away from the mother plant, but worried to do that too. Thoughts on this would be appreciated!
mikevan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To mikevan
Sponsors