View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Basjoofriend

Zone: 10
Name: 01
BananaBucks : 186,962
Said "Thanks" 138 Times
Was Thanked 266 Times in 123 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Question Bananas in the sandy soil?

Hi,

today I experienced that my housekeeper dug 6 feet deep into my soil in my yard in Brazil to set one internet aerial mast. He saw only sand to the depth of 6 feet and said, this is not good to grow bananas for me. And he said, that notbody grows bananas in my area. But my Japanese neighbour is growing bananas! The plants are not so bad. And I found 7 bananas in my yard by the garden examination for new plantation plans. Two look still okay, but the other 4 are not so well because my sugar cane takes too much power from the bananas, the bananas are too close to the sugar cane. But it is not the best time to plant or transplant bananas, because it is here drought, the winters are here dry and warm and the summers are here very humid and hot, and rainy season. I plan to enlarge the banana row to my cottage and transplant the bananas away from the sugar cane into the new row. Also pups from the old neighbour with 4 banana varieties and more than 20 species and cultivares from Helton of Frutas Raras. I sent him seeds of 11 species successfully.

Who has experiences with growing bananas in sandy soil in a tropical climate with drought in the winter and rainy season in the summer, too?

Best wishes from Brazil
Joachim
Basjoofriend is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Basjoofriend
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors