View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 04:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
blackdanter

Zone: 9
Name: John
BananaBucks : 3,813
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: 2008 Seedlings - Seed Mix Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
John,

Welcome to the forum, first of all!

Sementes Seeds has some really screwy, made-up names, lol. A lot of them just don't make any sense at all, and so I have not ordered from them. Sunshine-seeds seems to have their ID's working a bit better for them, and they are a good company.

If you look in my gallery, I have pictures of young Musa formosana (they are in there somewhere, lol), which like Kyle said is actually something else (although I didn't know it was a M. balbisiana form!). I also have pics of young M. balbisiana. The M. balbisiana will develop a yellowish coloring to the pseudostem, whereas the ones labeled as M. formosana will not. They are much more bluish-green.

My 'Darjeeling Giant' had no red splashes whatsoever on the leaves, but 'Helen's Hybrid' and 'Red Tiger' did. 'Helen's Hybrid' will have more rounded leaf bases than 'Red Tiger', although they will look similar when still very young. 'Helen's Hybrid' also has more wax on the pseudostem than 'Red Tiger'.

Good luck, and post some more pics as they grow! It'll become easier to ID them then.
Thanks Bigdog,

I twigged that Sementes seeds were a bit oddly named at the time but curiosity got the better of me! Everything that I was interested in I have duplicated from different sources, Sunshine Seeds, Sementes and Paradise Palms and I've noticed some differences in seeds of the same species from different suppliers. Off the cuff, Burmese Blue looks different in form as does Nagensium. Sementes Sakhalin looks unlike most everything else I have and I am keen to germinate this one (again, curiosity got the better of me!). I'll post more pics as the plants mature ................ the next issue is going to be overwintering space!

You have some fantastic looking plants in your gallery, well done.

Best

John.

blackdanter is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To blackdanter