View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
harveyc
Been nuts, gone bananas

Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
BananaBucks : 260,614
Said "Thanks" 6,024 Times
Was Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,894 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,785 Times
Default Re: My sheltered Ae Ae

mm4birds - I've used a Super Soil potting mix with a lot of perlite. Peat moss will retain a lot of water so not useful for aerating soil. Coarser forms of organic matter can also help but I believe perlite is probably about the best option. I haven't checked out the coconut products for a while, though, since they aren't readily available.

Thanks, Scot, that is promising that yours are holding out okay in the dry conditions. I was thinking I'd have to mist mine when it's planted outdoors based on reports I've heard. Many times we receive recommendations from people that are from humid conditions that base their comments on what they've experienced: humid conditions. It takes crazy folks like you and me to find out what else works! Some summers we have over 30 or so days over 100F so I've been lucky this year. I have a miracle fruit in my greenhouse which reportedly demands humid conditions so I do try to keep the humidity at 40% or above. I can feel like I'm visiting the hot humid tropics at times but quickly escape to a climate that is more comfortable to me. Thanks for the head's up on the HD cactus mix; I'll check it out when I get around to repotting.

Best wishes with yours, Scot!