View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chironex
The causasian Asian!

Zone: I have no idea
Name: Scot
BananaBucks : 118,445
Said "Thanks" 4,544 Times
Was Thanked 1,406 Times in 808 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 609 Times
Send a message via MSN to Chironex Send a message via Yahoo to Chironex
Default Re: My sheltered Ae Ae

Harvey, it's gorgeous! I can only dream of a greenhouse at this point, but mine is holding its own in these desert conditions. Just to be safe, I bought 2 more though. (yeah, I have the sickness) Our soil and water here is quite alkaline, but I read that Aeae's like it on the alkaline side...we will see. Definitely keeping it in dappled sun during the heat of the day. The heat is not stalling its growth as others have said previously. Our avg highs have been around 100-105 daily and it is still putting out new leaves, although about one every 2 weeks now.
I use fast draining cactus mix 50% with 50% composted worm castings/bat guano/chicken poop and I forgot what other poop is in the mix, but all of my bananas like it a lot. I got it at Home Depot, so I will try to find the name of it. Oh, and I usually amend this mixture with about 20% perlite and some organic sulphur (about 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons per container. Lately, I have also spread sphagnum peat in the mix and on top to hold moisture in the soil and reduce evaporation.
Best of luck with your baby. She looks happy!

Click for Jakarta, Indonesia Forecast
Chironex is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Chironex
Said thanks: