View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 11:50 PM   #44 (permalink)
deruo

Name: Tom
BananaBucks : 24,008
Said "Thanks" 23 Times
Was Thanked 40 Times in 15 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: The Potential of Musa Basjoo

I would kill for a garden like that!

Hi everyone, new member here in Southern Ontario and big fan of Musa Basjoo.
I bought a 3 inch shoot last July, and never got around to planting it outside due to a couple of moves since then.

I've cut one pup off and planted it outside and though I thought I'd killed it in the separation process, it's come back and doing very well. I was thinking about mulching it over the winter but think I'd best put it in my storage space in the parking garage over winter. Unfortunately, the dirt in my "garden" is only about a foot or so deep because it's over the parking garage. I'd think it'd be fairly easy for a foot of soil to freeze here sufficiently to kill it. Unless I get a heating cable and wrap it around the rootball somehow - but thats too much work for this year

The main plant isn't looking too healthy. For months it's grown on a slant, leaves withered with brown spots, but its working on two more pups. I've repotted it and it was pretty rootbound, but I'm going to try using some 20-20-20 fertilizer on it and see what happens. After that its spending the winter inside and will go into the garden with this years bamboo next spring.

I do have what may seem like a silly question. For those of you who overwinter your plants in the garage - do you water them at all or just let 'em dry out and then replant them in the spring?

Funny how the more I enjoy growing my banana plants, the less enjoy eating bananas.

Click for Toronto, Ontario Forecast
deruo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To deruo
Said thanks: