View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
harveyc
Been nuts, gone bananas

Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
BananaBucks : 261,009
Said "Thanks" 6,024 Times
Was Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,894 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,785 Times
Default Re: Hardy fruiting banana with no name

Thanks Mitchel, that's a good guess. How long has Namwah been here in the U.S.? I think this has been around for a while (I know Shawn did grow it at his prior home but the soil there was bad).

Any chance you want to swap a pup, Mitchel, just to compare?

Jon's site has a description that says that the underside of the midrib is mauve. I don't see that in these photos or in my pups. Do you see that in your Namwah, Mitchel?

I think the pool may provide some limited amount of protection but I don't really know if it is that significant. In January 2007 we had something like 7 days where we got down into the 20s. The topography in the area is very flat and the only bodies of water are swimming pools.

One bit of correction: I mentioned that the seller's brother has been growing bananas for quite a while and gave this banana to Shawn. That should have read brother-in-law. Shawn's brother-in-law also said that there could have been some mix-up when someone did some TC work for him some years ago, but that there is now way to tell what other varieties that person may have been working with for others.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll post more photos when Shawn sends them to me.