View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
miaella

Zone: 5
BananaBucks : 15,811
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Fish Emulsion Fertilizer, Lesson 1:

This is my second year trying to grow bananas. The first year was a good learning lesson in over watering...it equaled dead bananas (although, I think a couple corms were doomed from the start).

This year I moved to cold hardy plants in hopes of having an easier time. I bought five basjoos on ebay in early March and everything was looking great up until last week. Out of nowhere spider mites began to infest the bananas. I read a number of posts here where members had good luck with fish emulsion...

We'll, here's the lesson I learned. In many ways its a no brainier, at least in hindsight. I fertilized/sprayed the basjoos with the fish emulsion. The problem is, we have a bit of a raccoon problem. By the next day raccoons had dug up and destroyed the basjoos. I've replanted what I could but given their corm sizes size I doubt if any will survive the thrashing...

Look out for raccoons!!
miaella is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To miaella

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors