View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
chong

Zone: 8-9
Name: Chong
BananaBucks : 97,039
Said "Thanks" 1,309 Times
Was Thanked 1,701 Times in 758 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 991 Times
Default Re: Retail Banana ramas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catecate View Post
Hey all!

I'm new to the site - always been a huge bananafan, but only one of the sort that can live in Chicago... (can't grow my own, I'm told).

BUT, since hearing this piece on NPR:
Bananas, A Storied Fruit with an Uncertain Future : NPR

I have become more interested in becoming a banana connoisseur! I was wondering if anyone happened to know A) a good place to find LACATANs in chicago, or B) a good site that lists specialty banana retailers.

I am salivating over here!
Welcome catecate!
Most of the members here are into a lot of different varieties of bananas, I don't know of any that is actually growing Lacatan except "pitangadiego". And I don't know if they sell the fruits, either. I got a couple of "Tomoc" plants from him recently, and he says that they are similar to Lacatan. Both of these are from the Philippines.

As to fruits, good luck finding them in the windy city. Your best bet would be to contact growers like pitangadiego and possibly Mediahound. I don't remember if riversend.com grows the Lacatan, but I know that they sell fruits from their farm as they are available. And I've seen them list bananas as available recently.

Hope this helps.

Welcome again!

Chong
chong is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chong