View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #34 (permalink)
Gabe15

Zone: 12
Name: Gabe
BananaBucks : 13,339,547
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 8,237 Times in 2,200 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Re: My home tissue culture progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chironex View Post
Gabe, Curious to know what the contamination is and also the way you are trying to save it.
Its a bacteria. A few times before, I've dipped the explant into the bleach solution, then into the alcohol and burned off all the alcohol and transfered to a new, clean vessel. If done "lightly" enough, I'm sure it damages the outer layers but the inner tissue (where the meristem is) seems to stay protected. I haven't done this very many times, so figured some more experimentation was in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chironex View Post
I noticed that the vessels were not ventilated. Do you find that there is less contamination risk this way, or do you transfer to ventilated vessels later on?
The box ones allow for gas exchange, normally we seal off the opening with 3M micropore surgical tape (which allows for filtered gas exchange, very useful), however since I forgot to add it to my order, I instead just try to close the lid tightly and then put it in a plastic baggie. The mason jars are probably pretty well sealed (though I do break the tight seal formed by pressure cooking), however, since I'm only leaving these in culture short term, I'm not too worried about it. But then again, its all part of the home TC experimenting, so I'll find out soon enough.