View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 08:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
BobbyinNY

BananaBucks : 42,329
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Indoor Grow Lights

Quote:
Umm... even a small space heater draws more power than most high pressure sodium lights, and if the lights are run indoors they contribute to keeping the house warm. Especially if the house is heated with electricity or some other high-cost way I'd say it makes sense to keep them indoors. Arranging enough space for a banana plant and keeping the air humidity high enough can be a bit tricky though.
I'm not saying that grow lights don't work well - they do.... I just feel that the sun is much better and, depending on how many plants you have, can be a problem... If you only have a couple plants then it definitely makes more sense to use grow lights, but if you have alot of plants then I think the greenhouse is a better option... My biggest problem with Grow lights are the bugs that you have to deal with indoors... AND the dryness from the heat. I had to run 2 humidifiers to make up for the lack of humidity whereas in the greenhouse it stayed humid due to the condensation that was created between the cold temps outside and the heat inside... And when I removed the greenhouse in April I was able to put all my plants in full sun with absolutely no burning whatsoever.
BobbyinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To BobbyinNY