View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 08:42 AM   #59 (permalink)
damaclese
Living in Exile

Zone: 9 Mediterranean climate
Name: Paulo
BananaBucks : 282,634
Said "Thanks" 1,352 Times
Was Thanked 1,620 Times in 706 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 101 Times
Default Re: high temperature banana growing habits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velutina View Post
Here's an idea. Banana plants grown as ornamentals are often given part shade (up to 60% or more) to get better-looking leaves. I have some bananas growing in my greenhouse now that are putting out leaves pretty quick (1 per week at least). There is a tree above the greenhouse that gives the banana plants shade (90% plus during most of the day), but they are doing great! For fruit production, this might not be the best, but for the foliage it seems fine.

So for vegas...

Plant "Ailanthus altissima" (tree of heaven) around the bananas. This tree is very tropical in appearance and grows like a weed. VERY fast growth. It will lose it's leaves in the winter months. It can be pruned to allow more light to the bananas. Might be worth a try. I choose this tree since not too many trees can grow as quickly to provide shade and it looks tropical.
i like your thinking but I'm not sure about this tree here i pasted this -
Tree-of-heaven is a prolific seed producer, grows rapidly, and can overrun native vegetation. Once established, it can quickly take over a site and form an impenetrable thicket. Ailanthus trees also produces toxins that prevent the establishment of other plant species. The root system is aggressive enough to cause damage to sewers and foundations.
smal property= damage to house
so i think you are on to something maybe just not this tree for me any way. thinking more along the lines of a persimmon I'm nuts about there fruit

damaclese is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To damaclese