View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
damaclese
Living in Exile

Zone: 9 Mediterranean climate
Name: Paulo
BananaBucks : 283,258
Said "Thanks" 1,352 Times
Was Thanked 1,620 Times in 706 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 101 Times
Default Re: Banana bunchy top disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe15 View Post
Bunchy Top is a virus with its sole vector being a specific kind of aphid which I would think extremely unlikely to be in your area. The plants also do not show symptoms often at such a young age, as your plant is. In fact your plant looks rather healthy to me. Does it have similar growing conditions to your other bananas? Perhaps its a soil issue or a weak TC sport (unlikely), or lack of enough sunlight? Sometimes I've had plants start of really weak for a long time, but eventually they all ended up having their growth spurt at some point.
Gabe its defiantly a TC its getting sun from sunrise wish is around 5:45 now until 1ish its in native NV soil that was amended with DrQ its a bark and peat mix thats been amended with trace elements and sulfur to correct the PH the others i put in miracle grow garden soil mix that could account for the low growth its been fed with Vigro Palm food at double the rate and has been feed monthly maybe your right but the leafs are staying quite tightly in to the center with almost no stem extending out i really didn't notes anything until i saw how the Ice Creams were gaining inches a day and are almost 3 feet in just 2 months they have quite elongated leafs with substantial stem development its abveasly taking up nutrients I'm guessing this because of how dark green the leafs are could it be a sensitivity to water and soil Ph iv been watering with local sores H20 i have an Ro which i use on some of the more PH sensitive plants should i repot it in better soil would that hurt it to take the old soil completely of the rhizome/root ball i was also thinking that maybe its a response to the high temps there been asalating quite wildy this year 104 for three days then down in to the high 80 or low 90 perhaps this is stressing the plant out I'm also having tribal with my passiflora not growing either i just switched it to RO water and its started growing one thing i know for sure is that in the summer time Henderson switches from lake med H20 to well water do to high demand the chemical nature if well water here in Nevada is radically different from lake water its much salter and has Lots of dissolved contaminates Lime stone its vary hard !!!! i cant think of any thing els o got this TC from Stokes tropicals on the net hes in FL do thy have Bunchy top there? OK well all let you ponder all that info for a wail thanks for the response

Last edited by damaclese : 06-13-2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: spelling
damaclese is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To damaclese
Said thanks: