View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #34 (permalink)
damaclese
Living in Exile

Zone: 9 Mediterranean climate
Name: Paulo
BananaBucks : 282,637
Said "Thanks" 1,352 Times
Was Thanked 1,620 Times in 706 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 101 Times
Default Re: high temperature banana growing habits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velutina View Post
Most bamboos won't like the climate in Vegas. There are a few that are claimed to do fairly well. Those include Bambusa glaucescens, Bambusa multiplex riviereorum, and Bambusa oldhamii (giant timber bamboo). All are clumping. Or so says a book I have.

Probably a topic for another thread (or site), but what are you two thinking about palms? My list of suitable palms is...Washingtonia filifera, W. robusta, Phoenix dactylifera, P. canariensis, Brahea armata, B. clara, Sabal uresana, Trachycarpus fortunei, Chamaerops humilis, and Butia capitata. Possibly Bismarckia and Queen palm, but they are borderline.
i don't think either of you will have any tubal finding palms to grow in Vegas the queen palm dos vary well here i know i have one Chamaerops humilis (Mediterranean Fan Palm Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana (king palm) Brahea Armata (Blue Hesper Palm) Brahea Edulis (Guadalupe Palm) Butia Capitata (Pindo/Jelly Palm) Cycas Revoluta (Sago Palm) Neodypsis Decaryii (Triangle Palm) Phoenix canariensis (Canary Island Date Palm the most exspesiv Palm in Vegas) a mature specimen could run u over a 1000$ Phoenix Reclinata (Reclinata Palm) Phoenix Roebelenii (Pygmy Date Palm) rather exspesiv here Trachycarpus Fortunei
(Windmill Palm) Phoenix Dactylifera (Date Palm) that should get you started most do quite well here there are defiantly other that you could try but those are the one you see all over Vegas pleas don't think I'm all that with palms i had to look most of thees up because I'm not one of those people that knows all the scientific names I'm not all that interested common names are good enough for me thats why i never know what you all are talking about until i look them up i suddenly realized i put some in that you did o well I'm not going to edit it now to much work

damaclese is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To damaclese
Said thanks: