View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
mikevan

Zone: 8
Name: Mike V.
BananaBucks : 15,488
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Indoor Grow Lights

I had a 30' long 9' wide 6' tall cattle-panel hoophouse with a single layer of glazing for a winter and even when the heater - a single 1500watt usually set on 750watt - went out a couple of times and the 20's hit most of my exotics survived - I lost a vanilla orchid and one of my chocolate trees and the nanner's leaves all browned but everything kept on growing after that. I've got a solar pit greenhouse I'm building now that will require even less heat in the winter... I still want to bury a box-car rootcellar and store nanner pseudostems in it over the winter tho - no fuss no muss.

Yes - that's a nanner peeking around the corner there...

Be well,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyinNY
You don't have to worry about the snow.... It actually helps to keep the heat in... There were plenty of 22f nights where my greenhouse was staying around 65f... I had (2) small 1500-watt heaters in there and they worked great... The only problem with the greenhouse is regulating the temperature... When it's cloudy out, it's easy.. but when the sun is bright, it can go up to 100f in no time.. but once you get used to it, it's easy. I have the heaters that have auto-temp sensors on them... I was harvesting Pineapples, oranges, tomatoes, and peppers in the middle of January - it's awesome.... And, the good thing about the greenhouse is that acclimation is a snap. I just took it down in April and put everything in full sun and nothing burned - it just kept on growing where it left off..

www.littlegreenhouse.com...
mikevan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To mikevan