View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
jpfloors
Banned

BananaBucks : 103,257
Said "Thanks" 136 Times
Was Thanked 118 Times in 76 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 54 Times
Unhappy Saba Emergency Surgery Possibly needed, WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Okay, I got a Saba corm about three months ago. Between a month or two ago it put out half of a leaf (The other half had been cut when the it was topped). Since then it's done nothing and everything in view has rotted. Today I decided to do some inspecting and pulled off everything dead, and also uprooted it to see what was going on in the soil. Well I cannot tell whether there's been any root activity (though there's a LOT of roots, but nothing white that I could find). Upon pulling everything off, I think I found the only green part. I believe it is the meristem (Pictures will come later this week by the end of the weekend). I'm really not sure. It kind of looks like a very young rose bud. I've been getting the things I need in order to try tissue culturing bananas, but I truely would rather not do it on one that is my only plant of any variety, nor am I ready time wise either. Questions now:

1) Does anyone think that this will come back to life? I'm going to inspect it everyday. If I MUST do emergency surgery and remove the meristem for TCing, I'll MAKE the time to do it one evening (hopefully I could wait until the weekend).

2) If I do remove the meristem without damaging the bottom of the corm, would it still pup off? I did a quick inspection for eyes, but couldn't get through the vast roots to see if there were any. I didn't have time to completely wash away all of the dirt to really get a good inspection then have to replant.

3) OR Should I leave it completely alone and see what happens?

Thanks for everyones input and I'll definately have pictures by the weekend. I may even uproot it again and do a good washing to see what is going on underneath the ground.
jpfloors is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To jpfloors

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors